Sunday, August 28, 2005

What's going on around here

Jay packed up Jude and headed to his mom's house for the weekend so that I could have a weekend off, but that got cut short since the hurricane started heading towards New Orleans. All of Jay's N. O. area family needed a place to stay, so Jay and Jude came back home yesterday afternoon to free up some space at his mom's house. At last count, Jay's mom had seventeen more guests in her house than usual and is expecting more.

So I mentioned a while back that I had a quote from a Terry Pratchett novel that I wanted to share. The book is called Lords and Ladies. It's a fantasy novel like pretty much all of Pratchett's novels. This is a new kind of book for me. I'm used to reading Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, and a few others. I'm learning to expand my reading selections. Terry Pratchett is an author Jay worships so I thought I'd give him a try.

Any time I pull one of the Pratchett novels from the bookshelf and begin to read it, it takes me so long to get into the book. I do enjoy them, but they are so different from what I typically read. I can see I'm just rambling on, so I'll get to the quote.
There are no delusions for the dead. Dying is like waking up after a really good party, when you have one or two seconds of innocent freedom before you recollect all the things you did last night which seemed so logical and hilarious at the time, and then you remember the really amazing thing you did with the lampshade and two balloons, which had them in stitches, and now you realize you're going to have to look a lot of people in the eye today and you're sober now and so are they but you can both remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home