Friday, August 12, 2005

Where Have the Days Gone?

I just had my 6-month review with my current employer (it went extremely well, thanks for asking). I was really caught off guard because that meant I’ve already been with this company for half a year.

Things have been busy, which is probably why the time has flown. I’ve been assigned to handle several server migration projects, even more server builds, even more workstation builds, and an astounding number of PC repairs all over south-central Louisiana. And I’m not as busy as the partners in our company! But I’m glad because I find it difficult enough to spend a decent amount of time with my family as it is.

Speaking of which, Julie and I have just hit our 6th anniversary. Six years! Eight years of romantic involvement with this woman and nine years of knowing her! And we’ve had a kid for three years now! And another one on his way! Good grief! I married (very) well, though, so I’m certainly not complaining.

I’m nowhere close to where I thought I would be by this age. I though I’d be well-established in my job, own my own home, and have a tidy nest egg saved away. Nope. I’m relatively new with this company, I rent, and I’m deeply in debt. As the quote goes, “Life is what happens while you are busy making plans.” I can see why some people run into mid-life crises.

It can really be depressing if you think about it the wrong way. Look at the lyrics to Pink Floyd’s "Time". You see the same things over and over, and what does change usually does so in a way you don’t like. Your body isn’t as fit, you don’t have as much energy, your mind, eyes, and ears begin to slip, etcetera. Often, by the time you realize that you’re old, you’ve passed the point where you can accomplish the goals you’ve always wanted to.

From a Catholic/Christian perspective, it’s better that things work out this way. The whole aging process and the perception of time accelerating should act as a wakeup call to those who believe in judgment, heaven, and hell. The message I see from this (even if, shamefully, I don’t always act on it) is that life gets boring, the quality of life goes down, and, most importantly, we don’t have eternity in which to make amends with God. We should strive for Heaven, where we can spend eternity in the midst of the greatest love, the greatest mystery, and the greatest wisdom that exists. This is the one place where you never grows old and dim, where you are always filled with wonder. What does earth have that can compare with this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home