Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Thinking Can be Overrated Sometimes

A couple nights ago I started reading The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. I'm only a few chapters into it, and I already love this book! Some of the main characters in it are rats. They aren't your ordinary, everyday rats. Somehow these rats are able to think, speak, and read. They've given themselves names. They read labels on cans of food, choose their favorite word, and that becomes their name - even before they know what the word means. Hamnpork, the head rat, actually, he was the head rat before they became intelligent, doesn't like it that they are able to think. Here's his take on their new quality:
Oh, you think too, do you?" Said Hamnpork. "Everyone's thinking these days. I think there's a good deal too much of this thinking, that's what I think. We never thought about thinking when I was a lad. We'd never get anything done if we'd thought first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home