Thursday, September 02, 2004

Montel Williams

I rarely watch TV while Jude is awake these days, but today I felt like taking a break after we had a huge painting session. I turned it on to CBS and caught about 10 minutes of The Montel Williams Show. The topic was I Lived to Tell the Story. There was a young girl named Sarah on the show who is a volunteer at an animal sanctuary. She went into the cage to clean up and noticed one of the tigers was behaving differently than normal. She said she put her hands up and began to back out of the cage. The tiger leapt at her and grabbed her by the legs and drug her back into the cage. She had to get 90 staples and 25 sutures after he mauled her leg.

Okay, I understand someone has to care for these animals once they have lived in captivity their whole lives, but what gets me is that this girl said she began volunteering there when she was 13! I don't think they mentioned her current age, but she didn't look much older. I would never let my child work in an environment like that. As Montel said, these are wild animals regardless of the fact that they were fed by a bottle when they were babies. How could any responsible parent let their child enter the cage of a wild animal? Maybe I'm being too judgmental, but I really don't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home