Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Kids and Politics

When I was in elementary school, I remember being at my friend Ronda's house one evening. It was an election year and her parents had the TV on watching some show that featured the politicians who were running for office. The only thing I remember somewhat clearly was sitting in an adjoining room watching the TV screen. Ronda and I were discussing why we thought George Washington should win the election. I don't remember our exact reasoning except that he was a really good president and a lot of people liked him. Now, I still may not know much about politics, but at least I can fake it a little better today. When I read this clip of Laura Bush's speech at the Republican National Convention it brought a smile to my lips.
At every school we visit, the students are so eager. Last fall the President and I walked into an elementary school in Hawaii, and a little 2nd-grader came out to welcome us and bellowed, "George Washington!" Close, just the wrong George W.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home