Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The Wonders of Archaic Medicine

Maggots and leeches are making a comeback! According to this article, these creatures are the first animals approved by the FDA as "medical devices".

Maggots are supposed to be much better at cleaning out dead and diseased flesh than our modern surgical methods, not to mention much less expensive.

Leeches, on the other hand, are used for plastic surgery, knee pain, and also for stroke patients.

Maybe it's because I spent much of my youth running around with snakes, fish, bats, and all the "normal" pets that people have, but I'm not repulsed by the idea of having these parasites attached to me for medicinal purposes. One of my co-workers may be more representative of people in general by claiming, effectively, that he would rather watch his limb fall off than have a parasite intentionally attached to him.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home